Cooper University Health Care’s mission is: To serve, to heal, to educate. Cooper’s mission does not contemplate nor allow for discrimination or inequality in its practice. Our GME Diversity Council supports, fosters, and promotes an environment where all members of its academic community may thrive and succeed, regardless of race, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or age.
The Psychiatry Residency Program at Cooper University Health Care participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), and all information is processed through this system without exception. Information regarding the ERAS application process and timeline is available on the website listed below.
Association of American Medical Colleges
ERAS applications must contain the following information in order for your application to be considered:
- Common application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical school transcript
- Three original letters of recommendation (one must be from a Psychiatrist)
- ECFMG certification (IMG only)
- USLME reports (1, 2).
- Personal statement describing your training goals and future career plans
The program director and additional faculty members will review applicant files. Invitation for interview will be based upon their recommendations.
- Applicants must have graduated less than five years ago. If you’ve been out of medical school for more than one year, we will look for true interest in psychiatry, ie., observership, research in a US clinical psychiatric setting.
- Experience must have been in the last year.
- We have a 5 point above minimum passing score requirement of USMLE Step 1 & 2 and COMLEX Level 1 & 2 and one attempt at each. For International Medical Graduates, completion of USMLE Step 3 is preferred.
- We do not offer spots outside the match or offer sponsorship for H1 Visas.
Starting this academic year, we are no longer affiliated with the Atlantic City location.
Review of applications will begin in September. Interviews are held October through approximately January. Please note: BLS Certification is not criteria for interview, but it is mandatory to begin residency training. If you do not have your BLS certification, training is available at Cooper at no cost upon request once hired.
The application deadline for the 2021-2022 academic year is December 15, 2021.